Thursday, May 7, 2009

So now I'm on Facebook...

I have previously heard about the social networking sites but it is only now that I have put my toe in the water and joined Facebook.

In the library social networking sites could be useful within branches to facilitate flow of information on an informal basis. It could be a way for staff to get to know one and other when they are geographically separated.

Publicly a social networking site such as Facebook could advertise upcoming events to regular patrons. Online discussion of books would be another way it could be used. A Facebook book club perhaps. New books on the shelves could be promoted this way.

I found the Gaming Learning and Libraries group very interesting. It engendered lots of discussion and seems to be meeting the needs of the participants.

These sites are used for advertising up and coming events as well as providing a place for discussion and interaction on subjects of mutual interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment