Monday, April 6, 2009

Online photosharing

This lesson introduced me to the photosharing sites such as Flickr, Photobucket and Smugmug. It was very interesting to check out the photos online. Especially interesting were the library photos from all over. I loved the historical ones from Mosman library.

I also looked through some photos from the National Library of Australia using my home town and my family name as a focus with amazing results.

The Commons and the Creative Commons are ways of accessing photos in publicly held collections.

The Commons are for works with no copyright restrictions while the Creative Commons recognise the need to protect artist's rights.

When posting photos with people in it is best to obtain their permission before uploading these images to public photosharing sites. Another point of etiquette is to make sure you have the permission of the photographer before you upload photos taken by someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment